1. What is VUCAVU?
VUCAVU is a non profit organization helping the works of Canadian filmmakers and video artists to be seen by the world. We achieve this goal by supporting the work of independent Canadian film and video distributors.
2. How does VUCAVU work?
VUCAVU works on a video-on-demand (VOD) basis. To rent a film or video, the User browses the catalogue, views the details for individual films and videos, and then clicks the RENT button when they find something to watch. From the time the title has been rented by a User, each rental is viewable for a 48 hour period of time, .
3. Can I add my works or remove my works from the VUCAVU platform?
Independent Canadian filmmakers and video artists who wish to be included and/or to remove their works from the VUCAVU platform should inquire directly with the distributor of their work. Our eight partner distributors are:
4. I found my work on your platform. How did my film or video arrive to be on VUCAVU?
- All film and video artists who have works on VUCAVU signed a contract with their respective distributors that gives them permission to put their work on the VUCAVU platform. If you don't remember giving consent for this, please contact your distributor directly.
- All media content on VUCAVU is managed by our eight distribution partners.
- VUCAVU does not own or have copies of any of your film or video files.
5. Can I change the price for my video rental on your platform?
- YES! The rental prices for your work are established by your distributor and can be changed in discussion with them.
- VUCAVU asks that all rentals be offered in rounded numbers (i.e. Only dollar amounts + No cents in the price amount).
- Works cannot be made rentable for less than 1$ per rental.
6. My artist biography page does not appear on the site.
This is likely because we one or more of the following:
- We don't have the French and/or English translation of your artist biography.
- You have not provided your artist bio or a bio photograph of yourself to your distributor.
- If you provide this information, we will happily complete your artist biography pages and make them available on the site.
7. Can VUCAVU help me share information about public screenings of my work?
- YES! If you are an artist represented on VUCAVU and you have an upcoming public screening or exhibition of your work, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. We would be happy to share information about the event in our networks and mention, to those who can't attend your screening/exhibition, that they can rent your work on VUCAVU.
- Please send relevant information to email@example.com and include : Event title, Date + Time, Location, Price, website or Social Media links.
- Please note that all VUCAVU staff work part-time and we recommend that you give us at least 3 days notice (or more!) to communicate the information.
- We have a NEWSLETTER! If you have an upcoming screening or exhibition to share, send us the relavant information and we can include it in our upcoming newsletter.
- As noted above, the more advanced notice the better the chances that this information can be shared by us.
8. My work has been chosen to be part of a FREE curated program on VUCAVU? How does this work?
- VUCAVU is constantly building relationships with curators from diverse backgrounds. We have an ongoing series of curated programs that are FREE to watch (usually for 1 month at a time) as a way to encourage the public to discover works on the platform.
- If your work has been chosen to be part of these free online screenings, you will receive a screening fee from your distributor.
9. I am a curator, I know a film/video programmer and/or I am a researcher. Are there special accounts on VUCAVU for Professional Curators or Researchers?
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR VUCAVU's PARTNER DISTRIBUTORS CAN BE FOUND via THE LINKS BELOW